Sunday, January 30, 2011

Yes, as a matter of fact, I *do* want to be a Landscape Architect

Shadow Mentor Day was completely amazing. I had the opportunity to meet and talk to so many creative and influential people in just a few hours. The day completely flew by.

I spent the day following a local landscape architect -- David Dougherty, from Dougherty Landscape Architects. I have to say this was the best SMD opportunity I have had so far. David did what a lot of other firms fail to do, he actually let me "shadow" him for the entire day. I went with him to meetings with clients, visiting recent projects and performing site visits on a range of sites (from prospective to completed). I met so many interesting people and was allowed and encouraged to provide my thoughts throughout the day. I don't think I could have asked for a better mentor to shadow and I don't think I could possible thank him or his staff enough.

I fully intend to stay in touch with him, perhaps asking (as graciously and politely as possible) if he would be willing to spare 1o minutes with me to review my portfolio.

Speaking of portfolio... I really need to finish that beast. I've got a few pages roughed up in one format. I'm not particularly in love with it, but it's clean and clear. Perhaps I'll post a couple tomorrow and see what the internets think about them.

News from the Quad Squad aka Studio
I spent the weekend in studio working on items for midterm. No, really. Pretty much the whole weekend except for sleeping. But, our schematic plan is rendered and ready... now to finish all the sections and perspectives for presentation on Wednesday. Of course, there will also be a plant material collage and a lighting plan... maybe a model? Or perhaps a conceptual grading plan instead. Who knows at this point...

No comments:

Post a Comment